Trucking Business licenses and permits

Step 3: Obtain necessary business licenses and permits

Management and or owners should have qualifications such as the National Certificate in Professional Driving would be a benefit, as this qualification offers a broad range of skills including:

  • Customer relations
  • Financial planning
  • Self-development
  • Freight loading
  • Abnormal loads
  • Operating a vehicle combination.
  • Crane operation
  • Occupational health and safety


A heavy duty driver’s license (code 10 to code 14) is essential. Hire legally qualified truck drivers. Do extensive background checks on your drivers before hiring them.

Drivers’ Licenses

Unlike the old public driving permit (PDP), which was only required by drivers of public carrier vehicles, the professional driving permit (PrDP) is also required by drivers employed by companies carrying their own goods. Drivers of the following vehicles must hold a license card, endorsed with an appropriate PrDP:

  • Heavy goods vehicle, loaded or empty – (codes C1, C, EC1 and EC)
  • Taxi or other vehicle carrying paying passengers (e.g. an ambulance)
  • Bus above 3 500 kg GVM – (codes C1, C, EC1 and EC)
  • Bus or minibus with seating for more than 12 including the driver

Regulations and Risks

The driver must be at least 25 years old and permits must be issued to carry:

  • Class 1: Explosives
  • Class 2: Gases
  • Class 3: Flammable liquids
  • Class 4: Other flammables
  • Class 5: Oxidisers and Organic peroxides
  • Class 6: Toxic and infectious substances
  • Class 7: Radioactive
  • Class 8: Corrosives
  • Class 9: Miscellaneous, Difficulties in classification (includes generic or not otherwise specified substances, mixtures, waste and precedence of hazards.

important links you must follow:

Road Freight Association (RFA)

 Cross-Border Road Transport Agency (CBRTA)