Uber allows drivers to work their own hours and drive their own vehicles, charging a percentage of their earnings for using the company’s services and application.
How to become an Uber driver ?
STEP 1: Prepare the following documents:
1. Professional Drivers Permit (PrDP): This is a Professional Driver’s Permit that licenses a Professional Driver to operate legally in South Africa. Uber requires a local, South African, PrDP issued from the Licensing Department.
2. Operators Card (Double disc): The Operator Card is obtained from the Licensing Department
3. Receipt of Application for Operating License (Business Plan Application): This is obtained from the DOT (Department of Transportation)
4. Commercial Insurance with public liability: All driver-partners are required to register for Uber with their commercial vehicle insurance and have public liability insurance.
5. Vehicle Certificate of Registration (if you already have a car you intend to use): This is used by Uber to verify the registration year of your vehicle
STEP 2 – Signup Online
Once you have all of these documents, the next step is to sign up through the Uber website
STEP 3 – Background Checks
Uber will typically take between 6 to 8 weeks to perform their background checks.
STEP 4 – Get an Uber Approved Car
You need to make sure that the car you will be using fits Uber requirements. Some of these requirements include the fact that the car should be no older than 4 years, The car should also have no major cosmetic damage and Salvaged or rebuilt vehicles cannot be used.
STEP 5 –Interview
Once you have completed the preceding steps, you will be able to go in to the Uber office for an interview, for which you should make sure you have sufficient street and route knowledge regarding your area/city.